Research

Re: serial devices

From: Brian May <bam_at_snoopy.apana.org.au>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:01:03 +1000

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 02:20:21PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> Currently we have serial ports labeled at tty_device_t by default.
>
> The problem is that serial ports are used for modems, printers, and many other
> things than terminals. Currently the sample policy does not permit such
> access. So cups and lpd are not granted access, and if you want to run
> minicom you have to change the context of the device (and add new policy) or
> run minicom as sysadm_t.
>
> I have been thinking of creating a new type for non-login serial devices and
> granting pppd, cups and lpd full access to it, then the administrator would
> have the option of granting users access to it for running minicom without
> allowing them to spoof logins.

What would happen on smaller systems like my desktop machine where I want to use modems for dial-in and dial-out?

> Another possibility is to have different types for the device as used by cups,
> pppd, and minicom. Then change the contexts of serial devices to indicate
> which service they are for, but this could be painful to administer.

This would be my preference. If I have a modem connected to the serial port, I don't want somebody compromising cups, and then use that as a stepping stone to make expense telephone calls at my expense...

Not that I consider this is very likely.

If its going to be difficult to aminister, I wonder if there is anything that could be done to simplify the task?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>