Research

Re: auditctl examples?

From: David Caplan <dac_at_tresys.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:25:54 -0500

Steve G wrote:

>> You said you are interested in using auditctl to do your auditing, but
>> you can also get what you want with selinux policy.

> This is true, but I wouldn't recommend that. Its too easy to make a typo and
> cause unexpected problems later. In general, people should never need to modify
> policy. It makes too many support problems when everyone has tweeked their
> policy.

I suggested it because you stated in your response that auditctl does not support exactly what he wants to do. I agree with you that in general people should not have to modify their policy directly. I do think it is appropriate to "tweek" the policy when you have a specific protection/security requirement that is not addressed by the standard policy.

--

David Caplan     410 290 1411 x105
dac@tresys.com
Tresys Technology, LLC