Research Menu

Re: Debian SELinux backports project

From: Erich Schubert <erich_at_debian.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:27:24 +0100

Hi Luke,
I'll not support older kernels. I'll recommend to either build your own kernel, or get the linux-image 2.6.14+ from unstable. Fortunately, the linux kernel doesn't depend on much userspace programs. Obviously, the kernel cannot depend on a library, which is very nice. ;-)
But the debian "vanilla" kernels do depend on a tool to generate appropriate init ramdisks, so I'll probably include an unmodified "backport" of yaird or one of the other initrd tool, once I've decided which I prefer. Yaird worked okay on a test machine of mine, but not on a second one, unfortunately; but I don't know why yet... Looked like some module was missing for mounting the root which is on software raid; the "old" kernel had these drivers built in, making it of course harder for yaird to detect the appropriate modules...

best regards,
Erich Schubert

--
    erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.   //\