Research Menu

Re: [ SEMANAGE ] Stub pserver backend

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:58:11 -0500

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 06:29 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 16:55 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > The purpose of stubs is to reduce size of future patches, and to point
> > to the right place to add functionality (if people want to help
> > implement it).
> >
> > Changes: stub the pserver dbase backend.
>
> I'd prefer to wait until we have a basic working implementation and a
> user ready for merging. Posting stubs or function prototypes to the
> list as examples is fine, but I don't see much value in merging them.
> It was ok for early development of libsemanage in order to build up
> infrastructure and allow early collaboration/feedback, but I'd prefer to
> move to merging actual implementations now. I'd especially like to see
> sample users (even just dummy test programs) that allow the code to be
> trivially exercised along with the submissions to help put it in
> context.

Also, I think we need to think about priorities of tasks; policy server backend and runtime boolean manipulation via libsemanage seem fairly low to me right now. Of greater importance would be: - Finalizing the refpolicy-based targeted policy package and getting it into rawhide,
- Solving the default role problem in semanage/sepol, - Finalizing the genhomedircon rewrite and getting it upstreamed (depends on prior item),
- Adding options to audit2allow to allow it to generate well-formed source policy modules (including module statement and all necessary required statements) so that users can continue using audit2allow on managed systems for local additions to rules. Likely separate options to allow generation of a complete module versus generation of additional require and allow rules to append to an existing module. - Creating a utility for managing seusers via libsemanage so that users don't need to directly edit the sandbox copy and then run semodule -B to force a rebuild,
- Finishing the ports functionality and exporting those interfaces, - Creating utilities for managing the other policy components via libsemanage.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency