Research Menu

Re: [RFC] semodule policy

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:58:10 -0500

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:28 -0500, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> I agree with Joshua, my current idea would be a .fc like (abbreviated):
>
> modules -d selinux_config_t
> modules/(active|previous|tmp)(/.*)? semodule_store_t
> modules/semanage.read.LOCK -- semodule_read_lock_t
> modules/semanage.trans.LOCK -- semodule_trans_lock_t

Will libsemanage be modified to set and preserve the type on the lock files? How will it obtain the correct type for the lock files in the bootstrap case where there is no file_contexts yet? It would be easier if they lived in separate subdirectories so that we could just use directory inheritance, as with the installed kernel binary policy file and the installed file_contexts file. Top-level files in /etc/selinux/$SELINUXTYPE have the same issue, like seusers and setrans.conf, if we ever want them individually typed. selinux_config_t tends to be widely readable.

> Then semodule_t would have a dir type_transition on selinux_config_t.
> Then the rest of semodule_t policy should hopefully fall in place.

Should the domain be semanage_t to reflect use of libsemanage, and put all three of semodule, setsebool, and semanage into it?

> As for /usr/share/selinux/$NAME/*.pp, I agree that they should have a
> different label, but I'm not sure they should be policy_config_t.
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=selinux&m=113992576831596&w=2

Likely should add a new type for them. Then we can possibly create pipelines from their type to the store files via the approved programs.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency