Research Menu

Signal problem

From: Steve G <linux_4ever_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I ran across a problem while working on the audit code that has SE Linux implications. The function security_task_kill does not hook all paths for signal entry/delivery. Just to make sure you know the piece of code I'm talking about:

http://lxr.linux.no/source/kernel/signal.c#L630

Some background -- we have a CAPP requirement to identify the sender of the TERM signal to the audit daemon. We placed a hook inside check_kill_permission(). It was called on a PPC, but my i686 kernel never sees it. I think there is some arch specific code that changes how signals are delivered on ix86.

My test was simply /etc/rc.d/init.d/auditd stop and then look for a message stating the shutdown signal was received.

Using strace, the usual entry method was syscall 37 (kill). After that who knows what the code path is? I'm moving the audit hook to a whole new place to solve our problem. But I thought you might want to know about this since security_task_kill appears to be not hooking signals on all platforms.

-Steve Grubb

Do You Yahoo!?