Research Menu

Re: getfattr works, but getfilecon doesn't

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:06:13 -0400

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 08:27 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Thanks for the responses to my email the other day.

Hmmm...did you get a response? I think that the ramfs security xattr patches weren't upstreamed because there wasn't a real demand for them at the time, unlike the tmpfs security xattr support.

> I've made further progress, such that I now know that the labels are
> properly stored and accessible through the getfattr command, but not
> through getfilecon.
>
> I added printks to the kernel, and see them activated in the case of
> getfattr, but not for getfilecon. The return code that getfilecon
> received back from its getxattr call is -1.

And what errno? What does an strace should in terms of the actual arguments passed to getxattr(2) by getfattr vs. getfilecon? Different sized buffers?

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency