Research

Re: [patch 1/3] libsemanage: genhomedircon replacement

From: James Antill <jantill_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:00:02 -0400

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 12:58 -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> Karl MacMillan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 16:54 -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not a fan of the Python dependencies.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Here's a nice example of RPM hell, courtesy of our Python dependency. I
> got this earlier in the year on one of my machines.
>
> # yum -y upgrade
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: gnutls-devel for package: libsoup-devel
> --> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 for package: audit-libs-python
> --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package gnutls-devel.i386 0:1.4.5-1 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 for package: audit-libs-python
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package
> audit-libs-python

 I'm not sure what this is trying to prove, the above is a packaging/yum/rpm problem (which was fixed, IIRC).  Also, again IIRC, it also has nothing to do with code being written in python but because audit-libs-python / libselinux-python (which just provide _bindings_ to the C API, and I don't think you are trying to suggest we should remove those bindings) depend on an exact python-abi and audit-libs / libselinux versions.

--
James Antill <jantill@redhat.com>