Research

Re: OT: Re: ftp long time connection

From: Ben McGinnes <ben-mcginnes_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 05:03:49 +1100

Ivan Pulleyn(ivan@torpid.com)@Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:28:02AM -0600:

> Yes, it *can* be an explanation. Quite a few services (telnet, web,
> ftp, etc) look up the source address. So if you are on host 'foo' and
> you type 'ftp 192.168.1.1', there's no DNS query, but the server has
> to lookup 192.168.1.100 (the address of foo) to determine it's
> name. This is the lookup that is most likely causing the problem. If
> telnet hangs for 180 seconds, then prints 'login:', I bet a dollar
> it's reverse DNS.

Hrm, you are, of course, quite correct. As a brief re-read of a couple of RFCs are driving firmly back into my skull.

Though there are enough protocols these days which do not bother with reverse DNS verification as much as many of the older protocols do. That, of course, has its own problems, but that's another topic altogether. One which is probably even further off-topic for this list than this one is becoming. ;)

Regards,
Ben

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.