Research

RE: ftp long time connection

From: Walker, Jason <Jason.Walker_at_csoconline.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:00:42 -0600

I think that the DNS configuration will affect ftp connections, even if the client is trying to FTP to the IP address of the server.

What they're talking about is the reverse DNS lookup, where the SERVER does a reverse lookup on the address of the CLIENT to see who's trying to connect, for logging and authentication purposes. If the Server doesn't know the name associated with the Client IP address, it will take some extra time before the server gives up and simply logs the client IP address instead of hostname.

Make sure that the client system is listed in DNS, that the server is using the appropriate DNS server, or that the server has a HOSTS file listing the client. From the server, try doing an nslookup against the client IP address and see if it correctly returns the client name.

Jason Walker
Lockheed Martin CSOC
(281) 218-2569