Research Menu

Re: ssh policy hassles

From: Dale Amon <amon_at_vnl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:29:55 +0100

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:46:17AM +0200, Tom wrote:
> Because it is not hard-coded. It's whatever home-directory you set in
> /etc/passwd for the privsep account.
> That's also why others don't see that access. On Debian, for example,
> it defaults to /var/empty

Some ssh documentation recommends this as the default setup,

 mkdir /var/empty
 chown root:sys /var/empty
 chmod 755 /var/empty
 groupadd sshd
 useradd -g sshd -c 'sshd privsep' -d /var/empty -s /bin/false sshd

But debian has this setup:

/etc/passwd

        sshd:x:102:65534::/var/run/sshd:/dev/null

/etc/group

        ssh:x:105:

/var

        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Aug 27 2002 empty

/var/run

        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Aug 22 22:26 /var/run/sshd

Which looks like it should be using /var/run/sshd insteady of /var/empty, and yet the search priv on /var fixed one problem.

> You might want to define a special type for the empty dir, so you can
> move it around and don't have to give sshd access to all of /var

That might be necessary. As far as I can tell, I've got a straight out of the dpkg openssh install on this box. I'd think anyone else on debian should be seeing the same problem if this is the case, so I'm very interested in seeing where the real problem lies, ie specific to my test machine, or a general package problem for debian, or a generic problem for ssh policy.

I've now also got to follow up on Russ's suggestions. His note that the missing inode is a /proc item might be very helpful on that one.