Research

Re: Trivial debian bootscript for selinuxfs on 2.6

From: Dale Amon <amon_at_vnl.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:54:25 +0100

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:43:31PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> The problem of re-pivoting would have to be dealt with in the shutdown scripts
> for such as NBD type device. As I never got around to implementing such
> support for root on network devices I never wrote shutdown scripts. However
> I would like to have things be in reasonable shape so that if I won't
> experience excessive pain if/when I do it.

The more I think about it, the less I'm sure of what to do. I brought my test bed back on line and did a bit of looking around.

/initrd is gone after boot up, so I can't use anything about it as an indicator; also I can't then pivot back to it. I can detect that an initrd must have occurred at boot because there is an selinuxfs which wouldn't exist if I hadn't booted from selinux.

But even that isn't quite good enough. The boot script should not try to mount /selinux at all unless the kernel is an selinux enabled one. I'm not quite sure how to detect that... wait, hold on thar.... 2.6.0 kernels put the .config into /proc. Hmmm... let me think on that!