Research

type for less trusted files

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:26:26 +1000

I have been involved in some discussions of packaging issues.

There is a desire to have support for treating packages differently depending on signature status. If a package is signed by a trusted key then things operate in the current manner. If the package is unsigned or the key is untrusted then things will be different, we want rpm to decline to install such files to certain directories (discussion on how to do this is continuing - but it looks like having rpm query the kernel as to whether the SE Linux policy permits an untrusted version of itself to write to the directories etc is best).

For files from an untrusted package we want different labelling. Maybe untrusted_bin_t for files that might otherwise be labelled as bin_t, and have an attribute untrusted_file for all such types.

Then we want a "make relabel" operation to not change untrusted_bin_t to bin_t. We could do this by having setfiles know about the types that it should not relabel (some policy query), or we could simply deny it relabelfrom access.

What do you think?