Research

Re: udevd domain

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:34:55 +1000

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:05, Rogelio Serrano <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
> What domain should udevd run in? udev_t or hotplug_t

If we are to create a new domain for udevd then it would probably be best to look at the devfsd policy for inspiration.

But does udev ever run as a daemon or is it always run from hotplug? As hotplug already has mknod capability it seems that having udev run in it's context would not involve adding significant privs. So it may be best to stick with hotplug_t.

I need to know more about udev to decide. Or if you write some policy I'll look at it and decide what to do (I can get a good idea of what a program does from the policy it needs).