Research Menu

Re: Problems finding working kernel/user land combination

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty_at_pt-net.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:59:37 -0700

Hi all,

I'm trying to follow the trail for installing SELinux on Debian unstable, as helpfully documented by Dave Gilbert (see below). Thanks, Dave!

However, I'm having difficulty with the Selinux-policy-default package, which Dselect complains is not compatible with Policycoreutils. I plan to start over with a very minimal Debian installation on the hypothesis that one or more of the SELinux package versions has been obsoleted by a non-SELinux package. Can anyone offer other suggestions for installing SELinux under Debian, whether stable or unstable?

Cheers,

--On Tuesday, February 03, 2004 7:12 PM +0000 "Dave Gilbert (Home)" <gilbertd@treblig.org> wrote:

> So - to summarise (for those reading this in the future - is the archive
> working?); to get SELinux working on Debian/woody:
>
> * Get the kernel patches (lsm and exec-shield) off Russell Coker's site
> * Get the standard debian 2.4.24 kernel package (from the main debian
> pool) and the debian kernel-patch-acl package * To the standard kernel
> apply the kernel-patch-acl patches (if you are doing it by hand that has
> to be in the order ea, acl, nfsacl) * Apply the exec-shield patch
> * apply the lsm patch
>
> Add:
>

> deb http://www.microcomaustralia.com.au/debian unstable selinux main
>
> to your sources.list
>
> and follow the instructions from the *new* selinux howto - that will be
> the one that tells you to mount /selinux and doesn't mention the 'login'
> package.
>
> Note: When installing the packages it is best to do one big apt-get line
> rather than one at a time - doing them individually has a nasty habit of
> removing other packages.

Bill McCarty, Ph.D.
Professor of Information Technology
Azusa Pacific University