Research Menu

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Casey Schaufler <casey_at_schaufler-ca.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:05:46 -0800 (PST)

  • Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 09:58 -0800, Casey Schaufler
    > wrote:
    > > --- Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Ok, some apps like gift don't ask where to save
    > the
    > > > content,
    > > > but that's the exception and not the rule.
    > >
    > > I challenge you to back up this claim.
    >
    > I don't need to back up this claim, because:

Of course you don't need to back up the claim.

> 1) Apps that don't let you configure where to save
> your content are
> badly designed.

This may be true, but the quality of design is not an issue.

> 2) They can be changed

Look here, sonny, I've been doing MLS systems since 1986 and the One Truth You Must Learn is that applications can not be changed. No. Don't even consider thinking in this direction. This is wrong. Sometimes all that's available is the binary. Sometimes they like the way it works.

> 3) If they're not changed, it doesn't matter,
> because what I'm proposing
> is backwards compatible. User_t will still have
> access to all content
> types, and can write stuff to /home as user_home_t.

But ...

> Apps will have to be
> specifically confined in order not to be able to
> write to user_home_t.
> If some app is a problem, it can be left to run at
> user_home_t for now.

... then what's your whole point? I mean, why this whole line about structuring where user data goes?

> 4) If apps store stuff in a hardcoded location, we
> can label that easily
> with the proper context, unless it's hardcoded to
> /home or some other
> shared place.

You're right.

> Anyway, I am starting to get a better idea as to how
> this might work -
> see my response to Luke's message.

Will have a look. BTW, good work.
Don't let a dinosaur like me get in