Research

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Casey Schaufler <casey_at_schaufler-ca.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:27:51 -0800 (PST)

  • Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:04:26AM -0800, Casey
    > Schaufler wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, and I'm sure that you can do a configuration
    > > of most application defaults that will be good
    > > enough to demo. Application developers tend to
    > > have their own ideas regarding data storage and
    > > it is a bad idea for a system developer to
    > > interfere with said application developer's
    > > freedom to inovate.
    >
    > ... application developer's freedom to impose
    > insecurity,
    > through ignorance on the part of the app-developer,
    > upon
    > the users?

What ignorance? The developer codes to the published policies (e.g. uids, modes, capabilities) and everything works *within the published policy*. Some stranger comes along and without warning arbitrarily imposes additional policy on the application that the developer has so carefully crafted, often without looking at the code to see what the developer's intent might have been.

> no offense intended:

None taken. I buy skin thickener in 55 gallon drums.

> freedom in an abstract concept
> [e.g. "the american way"]
> _always_ has limits - laws / rules / policy
> is defined to confine
> that freedom, for good or worse.

Yup. So long as those limits can be known by the "free" entity all is good. When additional constraints can be added whimsically there is bound to be resistance.

Casey Schaufler
casey@schaufler-ca.com

Do you Yahoo!?
Make Yahoo! your home page