Research

Re: user_trans/user_trans_boolean macro

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:23:05 -0500

Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

>Ok, how about this instead - seems more useful
>
>1) Renamed: user_trans -> allow_trans
>2) Added role as a separate argument for flexibility
>3) Remove boolean macro - declare boolean in the app .te file
>
>#####################################################
>#
># allow_trans(prefix, role_prefix, app_prefix)
>#
># Transition user:$2_r:$1_t to user:$2_r:$1_$3_t
>#
>define(`allow_trans', `
>role $2_r types $1_$3_t;
>if (! disable_$1_$3_transition) {
>domain_auto_trans($1_t, $3_exec_t, $1_$3_t)
>}
>')

disable_$1_transition is so the admin can decide if they want certain users to transition.
For example, I think we should have a locked down mozilla policy where it only shows
web pages and only allows you do download to /tmp or My Downloads. It should not be
allowed to touch the users home directory. This should be the only mozilla policy, and the
admin gets the ability to turn on/off the policy. So if you want to be protected by Mozilla
policy you give up alot of its functionality otherwise you run it as user_t. The way Mozilla
was policy is going is we end up with user_t privs anyways. I don't think we need a boolean
for each role though. IE I think the exposion of booleans is worse the the loss of customizability.

So one disable_mozilla_trans is better than disable_user_mozilla_trans.

Dan