Research Menu

Re: Propper labeling of files under /var/www

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:12:55 -0500

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 10:13 +0000, Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 13:55 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> [...]
> > Try restorecon -FRv /var/www
>
> Yeah that solved the problem. The -F option is a little bit tricky ;-)
> Never expected something like that.

/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/customizable_types was created to allow programs like restorecon to omit files with certain types from being relabeled by default, so that admin customizations wouldn't be lost. The httpd-related types are a common case of this, where the admin wants to manually manage the type under the web root and not have them clobbered. As to whether it still makes sense when we have semanage fcontext, I'm not sure.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency