Research

Re: Fedora Core 2 Test 2

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:25:14 -0400

John Reuning wrote:

>I'll offer my limited experience with fc2t2. I've done two installs,
>both onto clean systems with reformatted partitions. There was an
>option to disable selinux in the installer click-through choices.
>
>The first install resulted in an almost unusable system. I think
>something hiccuped because the fs labeling was messed up. For example,
>I couldn't create user accounts as root because the root user didn't
>have access to write /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd. A manual relabeling of
>the file systems fixed the problem. After that, everything was fine.
>
>The second install was smooth. No labeling or policy problems yet.
>Although, I haven't used the system except as a headless test server.
>
>I haven't tried upgrading a fc1 system to fc2t2. Maybe that's a source
>of trouble?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-John R.

First off there is a Mailing list for discussing Fedora SELinux issues.

  1. Upgrading to Fedora Core 2/SELinux requires a relabel of the file system, so people who have done this have gotten into trouble.
  2. We have had tons of fixes to policy over the past few weeks that have cleaned up a lot of problems. So if you install FC2, make sure you update to the latest policy off of rawhide.
  3. Overall the number of bugs being reported has dropped dramatically, either we have fixed a lot of the problems or people have figured out how to turn off SELinux (Probably a combination of both.)
  4. Red Hat will be announcing our strategy for SELinux support in FC2/Test3 and Final shortly.

>>>1: I was a little surprised to find that SELinux was installed by
>>>default and that there didn't seem to be a way to avoid it. This said,
>>>the kernel did come up properly and the system booted.
>>>[snip]

The installer has three options currently Enforcing (Default), Permissive, Disabled.
There is also a FAQ explaining how to use SELinux within FC2. http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/selinux-faq-en/

Comments welcome.