Research

Re: Now that SELinux supports booleans should we replace tunables with booleans?

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:33:25 -0400

Stephen Smalley wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 10:40, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>

>>I have not studied the booleans that closely. But I it seems to me that
>>booleans are something
>>that Admins would like to work with, versus tunables being something
>>that distributions are going
>>to make decisions on. Of course it is not that clean. The best thing
>>about booleans is that the source
>>code is not required.
>>
>>I think there are several tunables that can be removed.
>>

>Ok, so it would be helpful to review the current set of booleans and
>tunables to see how well they match up against this general criteria,
>and to also check which ones can be removed entirely. The present
>breakdown is really only based on whether or not the existing tunable
>could be easily converted to a boolean (i.e. only covered TE avtab
>rules, relatively localized, small number of affected rules).
>
>Current set of booleans (strict policy) are:
>allow_xserver_home_fonts
>cron_can_relabel
>ftpd_is_daemon
>ftp_home_dir
>httpd_enable_cgi
>httpd_enable_homedirs
>httpd_ssi_exec
>mozilla_readhome
>mozilla_writehome
>named_write_master_zones
>read_default_t
>run_ssh_inetd
>secure_mode
>ssh_sysadm_login
>staff_read_sysadm_file
>user_direct_mouse
>user_dmesg
>user_ping
>user_rw_noexattrfile
>user_rw_usb
>user_tcp_server
>user_ttyfile_stat
>xdm_sysadm_login
>
>Current set of policy tunables are:
>nscd_all_connect
>user_net_control
>user_can_mount
>unlimitedRPM
>unlimitedUtils
>nfs_home_dirs
>use_games
>allow_ypbind
>unlimitedRC
>direct_sysadm_daemon
>hide_broken_symptoms
>unrestricted_admin
>nfs_export_all_rw
>unlimitedUsers
>nfs_export_all_ro
>user_canbe_sysadm
>unlimitedInetd

I think we can get rid of unlimitedUsers, you really should run targeted policy for this.
single_userdomain should also be removed since I don't think anyone has run it and they should use targeted policy. I am not sure unrestricted_admin is needed although this has been turned on in Fedora Policy.
nfs_export_all should be made one tunable and then have a boolean to allow RW or not.