Research Menu

Compiling for SuSE 7.2

From: James Bishop <james.bishop_at_jrc.it>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:17:37 +0200

Good afternoon,

This is my first posting to this list, so "hello world!\n".

I'm building the lsm-selinux-200109261436.tgz distribution on my SuSE 7.2 system. Up to item 6) in the installation instructions, everything has worked without a hitch.

Compilation of the modified applications in the selinux/utils sub-directory required commenting out the contents of the fileutils-4.0/m4/isc-posix.m4 file (I don't know m4); and changing the Makefile in psmisc to link pstree with the ncurses library instead of the termcap library.

Now I'm up against the differences between the RedHat 7.1 and SuSE 7.2 distributions. The MCONFIG files of the util-linux package are different (also SuSE 7.2 uses util-linux-2.11). I know from past experience that getting things wrong with util-linux is "a bit of a bore".

If I proceed to install the utils package as is, can anyone tell me whether login will still work? Or could / should I modify the MCONFIG file of SELinux to bring it closer into line with the SuSE 7.2 version?

I see that the SELinux Makefile moves the original /bin/login to /bin/login.old and then installs the new /bin/login. If I could ensure that /bin/login.old was used (perhaps on the basis of the result of the uname command - SuSE 7.2 is kernel version 2.4.4)I would feel better. How could I do this?

Should I remove shadow passwords from the SuSE 7.2 system before proceeding, or can I leave them in place?

All the best,
James Bishop

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.