Research

Re: How SELinux label packet by default?

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:25:55 -0500

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 01:11, Park Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> In initial_sid_contexts, there seems no default
> packet SID. Then,
> (here, let's don't take IPsec protection into
> account)
> 1) When a packet is sending or receiving, Does
> SELinux label the packet and then control the
> sending/receiving packet according to the label? or
> just ignore it?
> 2) When an unlabeled packet is received from a node,
> What default packet SID will SELinux set to the packet
> ?
> Is it still be as "When a message is sent on a
> socket, it inherits the SID of the sending socket by
> default. When the network component receives a message
> from the network, the SID of the message is initially
> set to a default message SID associated with the
> receiving network interface." as is described in
> subsection 8.1.1 of "Integrating Flexible Support for
> Security Policies into the Linux Operating System"

As I've explained previously, the security fields and hooks needed to label and control sk_buff's (i.e. messages) were not accepted into mainline Linux 2.6, so that code was dropped out of SELinux. SELinux network access control checks were redesigned by James Morris in 2.6.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency