Research Menu

Re: Multiple contexts

From: Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:11:27 -0700

And of course I forgot to cc list.
Sorry about the multiple mails.

> > I have to edit the cryptic m4 policy file to add a type that's
> > accessible by both. Why is this necessary? Why can't selinux
> > either
> > (1) Label the file with both contexts, and permit
> > the operation if any context permits it
>
> Because then policy would be encoded in the file attributes, not in a
> centralized security policy. Hence, one would be unable to analyze
> information flow in the system based solely on the policy and would have
> to also analyze the complete filesystem state, and that state is much
> more subject to change at runtime than the policy itself (one would
> hope).

Please explain this some more - Luke also seems confused about this (unless I misunderstand). I don't understand how the change from one context to multiple contexts stored per file translates into policy being encoded in the file attributes.

It seems to me that this change would simply allow more accurate association of the files with the proper security data.

It is still a centralized policy which decides whether to allow an action or not - it just takes into consideration multiple contexts. I am merely suggesting that when a security decision is necessary for a file, all the contexts it is labeled with are provided by the filesystem, and the security server makes a decision based on whether an access path (not sure of terminology here) exists between the subject context and any object context.

Your httpd policy describes what contexts httpd has access to. Your samba policy describes what contexts smbd has access to. This information is not stored in the filesystem somewhere - it's in the binary policy. Multiple contexts will simply allow the user to more accurately specify the class of the object that you have to work with, with minimal interaction - it is fundamentally not a samba share, or httpd content, it is both, and it seems the only sane thing to do is label it with both, or something that's a mix of the two. I am interested in the easiest possible way to do this without playing with the policy. Why should I be changing the policy? I should only need to do that when I want to describe changes in security classes and relationships between them. What I want to do is simply mark data as belong to more than one existing class, without changing either one.

So, it seems to me that userspace tools should provide an easy way to mark a file for contexts it belongs to, and internally selinux could still map this information to a unique sid somehow. Is this possible?

I can imagine multiple contexts for processes would be useful as well, although I can't come up with examples right now...

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu>
Cornell University