Research

Re: Sugg. for SELinux enabled Interpreters

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl_at_lkcl.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:15:07 +0100

it goes a little further than even this, with KDE 3.4.

you can also select some pre-exec'ing and also disable it.

there is some sharing and cacheing of connections going on, e.g. if you make a connection to an IMAP4 server, then _two_ programs can use that same connection to obtain email. one program becomes a "proxy server".

in order to "optimise" this behaviour, it was decided by the KDE team to pre-load all of the .so libraries that do this kind of cacheing - one for HTTP connections, one for FTP, one for this, for that, etc.

then of course once it was all implemented, someone _else_ pointed out that it might not be a good idea after all to have just the one program doing all those connections.

so, at run-time, you can now define, just like KDE_IS_PRELINKED (i forget what it's called... AH - got it)

        export KDE_FORK_SLAVES=1

and:

        export KDE_EXEC_SLAVES=1

you must do one or the other, and it _only_ works with kde 3.4.

i believe that the KDE_EXEC_SLAVES will be the most appropriate behaviour for a paranoid KDE SE/Linux system, because you will find that an executable called kio_slave_http gets created (IIRC correctly) and another one called kio_slave_ftp etc. whereas if you don't have either of those two environment variables set, you get ONE executable and it does that silly .so preloading stuff.

rambling again. stop now.

l.

p.s. the kde team don't really grok selinux - nobody's paying anybody in the kde team to integrate selinux properly. why bother, when gnome "does the job" i think is the most likely gist.