Research Menu

Re: Logrotate, ssh_agent - read selinux_config_t

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:59:09 -0500

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 14:06 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> logrotate and ssh_agent try to read /etc/selinux/config and fail.
> I thought it would be reasonable to allow that, but I see this:
>
> apache_macros.te:dontaudit httpd_$1_script_t selinux_config_t:dir
> search;
> crontab_macros.te:dontaudit $1_crontab_t selinux_config_t:dir search;
> inetd_macros.te:dontaudit $1_t selinux_config_t:dir search;
> ssh_agent_macros.te:dontaudit $1_ssh_agent_t selinux_config_t:dir
> search;
> ssh_macros.te:dontaudit $1_ssh_keysign_t selinux_config_t:dir search;
> xserver_macros.te:dontaudit $1_xserver_t selinux_config_t:dir search;
>
> Why?

libselinux reads /etc/selinux/config from a constructor to set up the paths to the policy files for later use internally or by the application. This ends up triggering a lot of unnecessary attempts to read it by programs that happen to link with libselinux but don't ever need to access a policy path.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency