Research

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:48:53 -0500

> Okay, here's how this is going to work - if you want to delete the
> preinstalled music content folder, and put your things somewhere else,
> music_content_t would be configured as a customizable context - all
> those contexts should be customizable. That means they survive a
> restorecon, among other things.
>
> Then you can make a folder, and in nautilus you right click,
> and you see the SELinux content (dwalsh has a patch for that).
> Then I've wanted to modify that patch to have a drop-down box
> of customizable contexts for the user to choose from. I haven't gotten
> around to doing that yet, but I think you should be able to right click
> in nautilus, open up a drop-down box of contents, and pick: Media
> (media_content_t), or whatever. Then after that your app will be able to
> save to that folder too.

Then for downloaded files, you can right-click and change their content to whatever you want (list of customizables), or double-click on the file, and GNOME does a mime-lookup on the file, and determines the proper handler, and the proper context for that handler (like the other person suggested)

Whenever you do that there could be a box saying something like:

"You are attempting to relabel potentially harmful content.  Are you sure you want to do this: Yes | No | Scan buttons  Checkbox: Do not ask again
 Checkbox: Perform a virus scan when opening file of this type"

... or something like that

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu>
Cornell University