Research Menu

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl_at_lkcl.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:00:18 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:44:22PM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:26 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:04:26AM -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, and I'm sure that you can do a configuration
> > > of most application defaults that will be good
> > > enough to demo. Application developers tend to
> > > have their own ideas regarding data storage and
> > > it is a bad idea for a system developer to
> > > interfere with said application developer's
> > > freedom to inovate.
> >
> > ... application developer's freedom to impose insecurity,
> > through ignorance on the part of the app-developer, upon
> > the users?
> >
> > no offense intended: freedom in an abstract concept [e.g. "the american
> > way"] _always_ has limits - laws / rules / policy is defined to confine
> > that freedom, for good or worse.
>
> I don't understand what this has to do with the application developer.

 i must not understand the point, then.

> This is a discussion of desktop applications that manipulate content
> relevant to the user - not internal settings.

 i believe it started out as internal settings [someone  suggested a ~/.etc / registry etc solution e.g. gconfd]  or maybe that was a different thread. ... anyway.

> All those apps *ask* you where to store the content.

 not necessarily - and, additionally, they typically have  default locations where the content is asked to be stored,  and the majority of users go "duhhhhhh, *click*".

 esp. windows users, for whom "duhhhh, *click*" means it ends  up in "My Documents", or "The Desktop", etc. etc. and then  they bitch like hell because they can't _find_ anything.

> Ok, some apps like gift don't ask where to save the content,
> but that's the exception and not the rule.

 some apps don't ask - but the "default" location is just as  important, imo, as not being asked at all.

 l.