Research Menu

Re: Desktop apps interoperability

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl_at_lkcl.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:01:40 +0100

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:27:31AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> Now Windows' approach of having "My Documents" and the like is starting
> to make a lot of sense (even though I absolutely hate those names).

 and the concept of a registry, too.

 unix has a lot of legacy headaches to answer for that make its  useability as a desktop system a pain in the neck.

 perhaps this is one that's worthwhile raising with the linux  standards base people?

 if it doesn't present a solution "now" it might at least get one into  the pipeline and start to make a difference in five to ten years time.

 l.