Research

Re: Do you trust X server?

From: Tom <tom_at_lemuria.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:26:17 +0100

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:21:44AM -0800, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> Let us be clear. The X consortium has always
> made it plain the the X server provides mechanism,
> not policy.

That it does. Nevertheless, its impact on the policy needs to be evaluated if you want to use X on an SELinux system. There's no point in saying "sure, it breaks all my security, but hey, it wasn't designed to keep the policy intact".

Of course X is policy-ignorant. Most of the programs that SELinux has policies for are.

> You can trust the X server to the same
> degree you can trust any part of the system that
> does not implement or enforce policy.

i.e. ca. 90% of the applications we've written .te files for so far.

> If you
> chose to use the X server as a component of
> your policy enforcement that is your affair,
> but the appropriate use of that code is your
> responsibility, not that of the X server.

That depends. As far as we can provide policy enforcement externally, the X server doesn't have to care. However, it has been noted in past discussions that the X server is, like login or ssh, one of the programs that cannot fulfill their role within an SELinux environment without either endangering said environment or becoming policy-aware.

> the "system" is not damaged at all. The DoS
> "attack" is a programming flaw, or "bug" in
> the jargon.

Most security issues are the consequence of from programming flaws. ;)

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>