Research Menu

Re: Proposed policy feature: $1_domain attribute

From: Thomas Bleher <bleher_at_informatik.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:12:07 +0100

  • Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@cornell.edu> [2005-03-01 15:30]:
    > I'd like to mark all role-dependent domains with a new attribute
    > $1_domain (analogous to $1_file_type), and then do the following in
    > base_user_macros.te:
    >
    > can_ps($1, $1_domain)
    > can_ptrace($1, $1_domain)
    >
    > Objections?

Yes. can_ps() might be OK, but can_ptrace() is too much. With ptrace, users have complete control over derived domains. I do not think we want that. An example: I'd like to have a version of gpg without --export-secret-keys. Together with SELinux it then becomes very hard to steal the secret key, even from a compromised program in user_t. Your change would compromise this.
I'd be more OK with
 can_ps($1_t, $1_domain)
 allow $1_t $1_domain:process signal;
because the signal permission is very inconsistently used right now and is sometimes needed to kill misbehaving programs.

Thomas

--
http://www.cip.ifi.lmu.de/~bleher/selinux/ - my SELinux pages
GPG-Fingerprint: BC4F BB16 30D6 F253 E3EA  D09E C562 2BAE B2F4 ABE7