Research Menu

Re: Proposed policy feature: $1_domain attribute

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_tycho.nsa.gov>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:43:35 -0500

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 09:35 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 08:58 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > I'd like to mark all role-dependent domains with a new attribute
> > $1_domain (analogous to $1_file_type), and then do the following in
> > base_user_macros.te:
> >
> > can_ps($1, $1_domain)
> > can_ptrace($1, $1_domain)
> >
> > Objections?
>
> can_ptrace? You could easily end up allowing unintended permissions
> directly to the user domain that were previously limited to a specific
> program.

Even can_ps() is suspect here, e.g. allowing the user domain to inspect the state of the program, which may be running with elevated permissions. You can't apply this in general to all derived program domains; it has to be done on a case-by-case basis depending on whether the program domain is more privileged than the user domain.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency