Research Menu

In FC8 I would like to start playing with trusted X.

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:44:50 -0400

Supposedly The SELinux XExtensions are in FC7 and beyond so time to start using them.

But lets start simple ...

Some of you are looking at using Trusted X for MLS, but I want to look at this from a targeted policy point of view. What are the security goals of a normal Fedora user.

Lets establish two tangible goals.

  1. Only the application with focus can get keyboard input. So if I am on a web page that is asking me for a password (On Line Banking) Only Firefox can read the input. Not Thunderbird. Theoretically I could run this with all apps mostly unconfined. firefox_t can capture input on firefox_t. While unconfined_t can not.
  2. No apps except gimp can do a screen capture. Again I want all apps mostly unconfined My goal is to get a policy that prevents any app from screen capture including unconfined_t. Bug gimp_t in the unconfined domain can.