Research Menu

Re: cannot login using strict policy

From: Ken YANG <spng.yang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:41:11 +0800

Stephen Smalley wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 17:33 +0800, Ken YANG wrote:

>> Stephen Smalley wrote:

>>> You should just be able to boot with enforcing=0, not selinux=0. Or
>>> even switch to permissive via setenforce 0 if you can login at least on
>>> the console and newrole -r sysadm_r.
>>>
>>> Under strict policy, users run in confined domains like user_t and
>>> staff_t, and the user must newrole -r sysadm_r to enter the admin role.
>>>
>>> The /root files should be labeled with sysadm_home_t, not user_home_t.
>>> Look at /etc/selinux/strict/contexts/files/file_contexts.homedirs for
>>> the /root entries.
>> i also had the same error when switching from targeted to strict.
>>
>> i notice in avc that there are some deny errors:
>>
>> avc: denied { search } comm="gconfd-2" name="root"
>> scontext=root:staff_r:staff_gconfd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
>> tcontext=root:object_r:sysadm_home_dir_t:s0
>>
>> i guess that this error is relative to the "permission denied" of
>> ".bash_profile"
>>
>> i find that "staff_gconfd_t" is generated by domain transition
>> from "staff_t" to "staff_gconfd_t". (defined in
>> gnome_per_role_template())
>>
>> i wonder why "root" user role is staff_r when login through gdm,
>> and is sysadm_r when login in 3 level(through mingetty)
>>
>> as stephen said, in strict policy, users should be run in user_t and
>> staff_t, and the "local_login_t" line in "users/root" indicate the
>> role of root is "sysadm_r", and the same line in "default_contexts"
>> indicate that the role of user is staff_r.
>>
>> i am confused in above situations. what decide the role and domain of
>> user (normal users and root)?

> get_ordered_context_list(3)

thanks, Stephen

when i modify the "local_login_t" line in "users/root" to:

"
system_r:local_login_t:s0 sysadm_r:sysadm_t:s0 staff_r:staff_t:s0 user_r:user_t:s0
"

the role of root(login through non-[xgdw]dm, e.g. tty 2) is "sysadm_r"

but when i modify the "local_login_t" line in "default_contexts" to:

"
system_r:xdm_t:s0 sysadm_r:sysadm_t:s0 staff_r:staff_t:s0 user_r:user_t:s0
"

the role of root (login through gdm) is still staff_r. why?

i think the reason of "bash_profile deny error" is relative to the "gconfd-2 avc error" message, because domains of "staff_r" have not permission "search" root homedir, and then of course can not "perform certain operation" in root HOME. As a result, root can not login through gdm.

additionally,

in "xserver.fc", the path of gdm seems to be wrong in fedora, gdm in fedora locates in "/usr/sbin/gdm", same with debain and ubuntu.

so the type of gdm in fedora, is "bin_t" not "xdm_exec_t", i modify the "xserver.fc" in attachment patch.
please correct me if i am wrong