Research Menu

Re: policy hierarchy patch

From: Darrel Goeddel <dgoeddel_at_TrustedCS.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:35:25 -0500

Joshua Brindle wrote:

>>Sounds good to me.  I should actually be able to take a look at it tomorrow and
>>help you out with the code.  I know that the parsing isn't the prettiest...  I
>>think I may be able to make it look better in C code.  And we didn't really like
>>the spaces anyway.
>>

> So what were you thinking? the hierarchy stuff already has the
> infrastructure for checking for '.' in the identifier and splitting out
> the "parent", which in your case would be the lower part of the range.
> Obviously these have hierarchy specific names and would be very
> confusing to on-lookers so maybe we could generalize those to avoid
> repeating code.
>
> Then we just convert everything to identifier and anything that expects
> a category can check for '.' and set the values appropriately, this
> seems even cleaner than the way it's done now with the MLS_CAT_RANGE
> string..
>
> I can probably bang this out pretty quickly unless you had something
> else you wanted to do with MLS or prefer to deal with that part
> yourself, let me know what you want to do. Also, will you be able to
> send a policy patch at the same time that rids the policy of those
> spaces?
>
> Thanks, Joshua Brindle

Here is a patch relative to the hierarchy-backport.patch that reworks the mls category processing. It gets rid of the special MLS_IDENTIFIER - now uses standard IDENTIFIERS. There is a new centralized function to parse categories which interprets the '.' char in C code (and that nasty MLS_CAT_RANGE stuff is gone). This patch also disallows '.' in the names and aliases of sensitivities and categories.

I have only tried this with our mls policy currently - I have not tried this with a policy generated from CVS using the mlsconvert target. The patch does modify the mlsconvert target to fit with the new processing (no spaces around the '.') - I will test that tomorrow. If anyone else tests this first please let me know. I will be banging on this tomorrow to make sure all everything behaves sanely.

I am still testing, and am open to suggestions... I'll let everyone know when I am satisfied with it.

--

Darrel