Research

Re: [Announce][Patch] Enhanced MLS support

From: Stephen Smalley <sds_at_epoch.ncsc.mil>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:31:36 -0500

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 14:44, Chad Hanson wrote:
> Attached are patches to enable the detection of MLS on a SELinux system.
>
> This consists of an mls object inside of selinuxfs (/selinux/mls), a library
> call for libselinux (is_selinux_mls_enabled()), and application patches for
> pam and init. The init patch enables loading of MLS or non-MLS policy
> depending on kernel configuration. The pam patch will ask for the MLS level
> if a default context is not found.

The init and pam patches will need to go to Dan (cc'd above) for inclusion after we have released a libselinux that includes is_selinux_mls_enabled(). This can happen independently of the kernel support getting into the Fedora kernel, as is_selinux_mls_enabled() will return 0 if /selinux/mls doesn't exist at all. With regard to the init patch, it would likely be cleaner to bracket the snprintf with your test of is_selinux_mls_enabled() and print the entire version string (including -mls suffix if appropriate) once to the policy_file buffer; the separate strncat could theoretically overflow the buffer and is wasteful anyway (having to walk the string again).

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency