National Institute for Literacy

[FamilyLiteracy] request for student speakers National Conference on Family Literacy

Bonnie Lash-Freeman bfreeman at famlit.org
Tue Nov 29 14:57:17 EST 2005

Friends and Colleagues,
It is that time again. Time to honor your student successes. NCFL honors
four students each year at the National Conference on Family Literacy, March
19 - 21, 2006. This year, we are again searching for accomplished adult
students to represent themselves, their families and your programs. Please
submit your nominations ( see criteria below) by January 6, 2006. We will
make the selection by January 13, 2006.
Thanks

Bonnie

The National Conference on Family Literacy Student Speaker Nomination
Guidelines:

Experience in a 4 component family literacy program:
r Completed 1 or 2 years
r Accomplished goals in the following areas:
o family
o personal
o academic

Experience speaking
r Completed at least 3 speaking engagements
o Own class
o Local groups, or
o State family literacy conferences

r Is fluent in English
r Has spoken in front of groups of 50 - 100 people
r Will be supported by the staff of the family literacy program

The student must be willing to travel to Louisville, arrive on the Saturday
before the Conference (March 19 - 21), and be available for an on-site
practice session on Sunday prior to the Opening session.

We are particularly interested in students who have developed strategies for
supporting their children's academic development, have begun to accomplish
some of their employment or vocational goals and/or have developed
supportive strategies for their extended family.

Requirements for the family literacy program:
r Must follow the federal definition for family literacy services
r Must have been funded as a 4 component program for three years
r Must have staff that will support the student as they write and
perfect their speech

Bonnie Lash Freeman
Director - Training/Special Projects
National Center for Family Literacy