[NIFL-HEALTH:4730] RE: ESL prenatal curriculum, literacy level

From: Heather Elizabeth Young (hyoung1@gladstone.uoregon.edu)
Date: Sat May 28 2005 - 00:19:18 EDT

Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 00:19:18 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Heather Elizabeth Young <hyoung1@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4730] RE: ESL prenatal curriculum, literacy level

Hello All,
I'm hoping that someone might have ideas, feedback, input for a
project I'm currently working on. I'm designing an ESL class
specifically for the target population of immigrant expectant mothers.
The focus of the class will be on developing language skills, using
the content areas and language functions the learners and caregivers
identify as most important during the childbearing year. Most of the
target population learners have just a few years of formal education,
so it will be a literacy level class.

I would appreciate leads on materials that have been developed for
this population, and especially hearing from anyone who may have
designed or taught a similar class.

Thank you,
Heather Young

hyoung1@gladstone.uoregon.edu