[NIFL-HEALTH:4705] teaching parents to use acetaminophen

From: Jill Linnell (linnelljill@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 12:03:55 EDT

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:03:55 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jill Linnell" <linnelljill@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4705] teaching parents to use acetaminophen

Thank you for those of you who responded to my request a while back for
information about health literacy friendly dosing cups.  Unfortunately it
appears the perfect cup does not yet exist.  Several of you however offered
helpful leads.

We are now thinking about developing a curriculum for parents in our
pediatric clinic regarding the use of infant and children’s Tylenol
(acetaminophen).  We believe that incorrect dosing of this very common
medication is a common problem among families.  Our population consists
mainly of recent immigrants who may have issues about reading and
understanding the label and complicated dosing chart accompanying the
medicine.  Related to this is the issue of whether or not our parents are
able to correctly diagnose fevers in their children.

We hate to reinvent the wheel, so we would love to know if any of you have
heard about programs or materials addressing these issues.  If so, could you
please direct us to where we could learn more about them.

Thank you,
Jill Linnell
H.E.L.P. Project and Reach Out and Read
Bellevue Hospital Center