[NIFL-HEALTH:4685] RE: Research on the use of

From: Rima Rudd (rrudd@hsph.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 10:42:52 EST

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:42:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Rima Rudd <rrudd@hsph.harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4685] RE: Research on the use of

Hello,
While I agree with Bill's point that rigorous formative research is an
absolute professional obligation, there are additional evaluative questions
that can be asked and examined. This is true for the use of any materials
that 'deliver' a message, present issues and information, and support a
wider program effort. First, it is critically important that materials or a
message is not confused with a program effort [if passing out material
constitutes the entire effort than we have a very weak 'program'].
The formative evaluation includes a thorough evaluation by members of the
intended audience so that the materials will be revised as needed.
A process evaluation will look at how people use the materials.  Here are
some examples of process evaluation research questions: Are the materials
being distributed as planned. Are they getting into the hands/homes of the
people for whom it was intended? Are they being used as planned?  Is there
expanded use? For example, are people sharing the materials and information
with others? Is the material and information sparking discussions with
others [friends, family, doctors???]. Are the materials being used more
than previous materials were used and/or in a different way? How does the
wider audience respond to the materials and the messages? Assuming the
development of materials was local and participatory, how do those in other
areas and who do not know the people involved respond to the materials and
message?   One can also look at increased efficacy, increased
knowledge..... etc.
An outcome evaluation will look at the power of the intervention to bring
about desired change.  One might also look at the specific contribution of
material X to enhance the program, increase the likelihood of change, bring
about actual change over and above the program without the added materials
or the program with other standard materials.
You will see in articles by Roter, Rudd, Comings.... some discussion of
evaluations and evaluation findings.
An added note: we found that locally produced materials, developed by and
with local people, with familiar places and faces -- might indeed be more
salient and effective than professional looking, expert derived materials.
Rima Rudd

50 AM 3/8/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Evaluating fotonovelas. What would you evaluate and how would you do it?
>  FotoN are like radio programs - they are a channel of communication.
>Some radio programs fail and others succeed, but radio doesn't succeed
>or fail.  I have never seen anyone waste  money on a case control study
>of fotonovelas, whioch be the gold standard.  You would have to take one
>fotonovella, compare it against another  fotonovel and then compare it
>against some other alternative format to determine what?....in a given
>population at a given moment fotonovella A was better(read more widely,
>understood?) than B or not as good as alternative C?  What would that
>tell you that could generalize to different audience, subjects and
>times?
>
>I will check some international sources that do research on
>entertainment media - but I am very skeptical of finding any evaluation
>of fotonovells as stand alone, or as simple evaluations that would not
>really show you much becasue they were so case specific.
>
>What is it that you wopuld want an evaluation to tell you?
>
>I think what we know about communication suggests that your focus on
>formative research makes a great deal of sense for a channel like this.
>Obiviously a program would need to demonstrate that the  reach and
>frequency of a footonovella was sufficient for a given population.    In
>a given setting who reads fotonovelas?  How often?  What do they get out
>of them?  And most important what part are they playing in a much
>broader strategy to accomplish a public health objective.
>
>Once you decide  they are a viable channel for a specific audience -
>what content do you put through it (what are people going to learn from
>a fotonovel - facts, positioning, branding ?)
>
>We did a series of fotonovels in Ecuador to help fight the racism
>against rural Indians.  The novel featured a  super hero Indian who
>solved real problems with great street smarts.  It was critical that the
>problems were perceived to be real and that he was not fighting aliens
>from outer space. Manual Santi was his name and he had to  solve things
>like water rights problems to be credible.
>
>Manual Santi became a symbol of the smart savvy Indian that we used in
>a dozen other channels to address the existing stereotypes.  We used
>photos and the lead character made personal appearances around the
>country.
>
>In another case we needed to get very specific information about how to
>mix a rehydration solution to mothers of newborns.  There, the accuracy
>of the information was important and we knew that just reading the
>fotonovel would not be enough.  We designed it as a school project.
>Kids got the fotonovel in school, read it in class and then took it
>home. It  was the story of how a school kid had saved his baby sister's
>life by mixing oral rehydration properly.  The kids took the fotonovel
> [...]

Note the new items on our health literacy web
page:  www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy