[NIFL-HEALTH:4667] RE: Research on the use of Photonovellas?

From: Susan Auger (sauger@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 02:30:32 EST

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:30:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Auger" <sauger@mindspring.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4667] RE: Research on the use of Photonovellas?

Hi-
I just started working on an article related to our use of the photonovels
we developed for prenatal care.  (We've discussed the De Madre A Madre/From
Mother to Mother bilingual photonovels on this listserv previously.)
Although the article is not published yet, you might be interested in our
work.

After developing the photonovels (a hybrid design- combining a traditional
photonovel format with a literacy component) we received several small
grants to develop a method to teach prenatal education classes using the
photonovels.  We've developed a simple 6 step process.  Over a period of
about 4 years, we have tested the 'Teach-With-Stories' (TWS) method in
several sites across North Carolina with pregnant Latino women with low
literacy skills in English and/or Spanish.  The facilitators also had
different skill and literacy levels. Each class they would read and discuss
a story together.  Group members took the photonovels home.  They reported
keeping them, rereading and sharing them with friends and other family
members.

The TWS method addresses health literacy, health empowerment, and health
education needs. While our focus was on refining the method and learning how
to train facilitators in the process, we did some informal qualitative
evaluation. The results and stories were fairly consistent across sites.
Many of our findings are similar to the published findings in studies on the
efficacy of patient-centered care. Both clients and clinic staff benefit.
Note:  A great summary of these studies is in the Institute of Medicine's
Health Professions Education: A Bridge to Quality report (2003).

At the core of the TWS method is a 'power-sharing' way of relating and
educating (i.e., educator as facilitator rather than expert).  In addition,
we have tried to build on your work, Dr. Rudd's work and the work of Rick
Arnold (who developed the 'Spiral Model'- an educational empowerment
process).

Just recently, the TWS method was selected as a national demonstration
project and will be more formally evaluated.  We are looking at how to
evaluate its impact on the group members' health literacy (and also the
impact on the group itself).  We are especially interested in how to
evaluate change in levels/types of social support and how it relates to
health literacy of individuals and the group.)  If anyone has any
suggestions about this, please let me know!

If you would like additional information, feel free to contact me directly.

Hope this helpful-

Susan Auger
Executive Director
Auger Communications/Aprendo Press