[NIFL-HEALTH:4659] RE: Research on the use of Photonovellas?

From: rrudd (rrudd@hsph.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 12:54:03 EST

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:54:03 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: rrudd <rrudd@hsph.harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4659] RE: Research on the use of Photonovellas?

Hello Len and Cici
You might want to examine the information under innovative materials on the
health literacy web site listed as: www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy.
Roter, Rudd, and Comings have each and together published articles on the use
of photonovels.
Here are some references as a starting point:
-Roter DL, Rudd RE, Keoge J, and Robinson B. Worker produced health education
material for the construction trades.  Intern Q Community Health Educ
1986-7;7:109-121.
- Roter DL, Rudd RE, Frantz S, Comings JP. Participatory materials development
in health education. Public Health Reports 1987; 96:169-172.
-Rudd RE, Comings JP.  Learner Developed Materials: An Empowering Product,
Health Education Quarterly 1994;21(3):33-47.
-Rudd, RE, Comfort, LR, Mongillo JM, Zani L. Student Produced Health Education
Materials, chapter 9 in Matiella AC (ed) The Multicultural Challenge in Health
Education, Santa Cruz, CA: ETR Associates, 1994.
Rima

>===== Original Message From nifl-health@nifl.gov =====
>I think the American Diabetes Association (ADA) has used these in their
>outreach materials to the Latino community. I think this format has also
>been used for dissemination of AIDS information, but I'm not sure what
>research was used to support its efficacy or justify the use of that
>format.Perhaps the ADA can help.

Rima E. Rudd, MSPH, Sc.D.
Department of Society, Human Development,and Health
Harvard School of Public Health
677 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Phone: 617-432-1135