[NIFL-HEALTH:4676] Choice of format

From: Mersereau, Patricia (PGM5@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 13:03:11 EST

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:03:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mersereau, Patricia" <PGM5@cdc.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4676] Choice of format

Hi,

A committee of the National Birth Defects Prevention Network is
beginning to develop an educational material for postpartum women to
encourage them to continue taking folic acid daily.  I have done a quick
search for studies involving choice of format (front and back of card,
bifold brochure, or trifold brochure) but have not found anything.

Based on anecdotal information and the fact that the audience has a wide
range of health literacy skills, I lean towards choosing a front/back
card format written in a plain language.   Does anyone have references
or anecdotes to back up that choice or to point us to another choice?

Thanks,

Patricia Mersereau, RN, MN, CPNP
Battelle contractor for CDC/NCBDDD
1600 Clifton Rd., NE