National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1254] Re: Second Life for Survivor class

Bakin, Barry barry.bakin at lausd.net
Fri Aug 31 12:57:35 EDT 2007

Working in a computer lab or everyone having laptops would certainly be
convenient, but students could benefit from using online environments
even if a class only "visits" a computer lab once a week or there was
only one laptop in a class with Internet access. The key would be how
the instructor chooses to implement the educational tools online
environments represent. The exercises and preparation the instructor
does prior to a visit to the computer-lab, the exercises and practices
that follow a visit to the computer-lab and the goals that the
instructor has for the students must be adjusted to complement each
individual class setting. The same activities that a class can do in a
lab can be done with a single laptop. The instructor simply has to
implement ways to provide access to all the students in the class
through a rotational system.

Barry Bakin
ESL teacher Advisor,
Division of Adult and Career Education, Los Angeles Unified School
District