National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1152] List o' links

Steve Quann steve_quann at worlded.org
Thu Jun 28 12:13:47 EDT 2007

Thanks to the help of the folks on this list I have compiled a list of links to sites that might help support learners in getting the basics computer skills they might need to study online. (As can be seen from the discussion there is a whole lot more that goes into success.) I know there are of lists for building computer skills out there but it has been a while since I have done this search and was hoping that there would be a lot of new animated tutorials either on separate topics or one that covered most. There are a number but many are for K-12.

I will also continue looking for the kind of thing Alpha Route offers but as I understand it is only available to those in Canada. So Nancy, if you know of something similar that can be used beyond the borders let me/us know.

Here were the recommendations for the list followed by a link to a breakdown of ones that I thought might be particularly helpful.

Recommendations from Larry Ferlazzo, Tommy McDonell, Michelle Faith Brown and Viz

Larry Ferlazzo suggested:
http://www.bayworld.net/ferlazzo/englishthemes.html#computer

http://www.bayworld.net/ferlazzo/englishint.html#typing

My favorite one for English Language Learners is, by far, Dance Mat Typing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/ schools/typing/). It has audio support.

Tommy McDonell found:

Some of the ones below come from here:
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line2.htm#wd

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line_word.htm gives great tutorials that you can print out.

http://its.leesummit.k12.mo.us/word.htm these are some nice looking
tutorials.

Learn the Net http://www.learnthenet.com/english/index.html which
has this:

ANIMATED....How the Internet works
http://www.learnthenet.com/english/animate/animate.htm

Viz and Michelle Brown recommend:

http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/
Flash program can be downloaded from http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/ You can install it or use it online.

If anyone is interested, I went through the suggestions and selcted ones that I thought might be most appropriate for adults, added a few and organized them by topic. You can see this list at
http://tech.worlded.org/docs/cesol/tutorials.htm

You’ll see that some of the oldies are still some of the goodies. But please let me know if you have additions or comments.

Thanks!

Steve Quann
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street