National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1429] Re: retrospective

Eunice Snay ESnay at qcc.mass.edu
Fri Dec 21 10:27:09 EST 2007

"What are the "wow' moments for the students you work with?

Best, Mariann"

I've had a few of these moments but I'll share two that are some of my
oldest:

I used to teach at computer camps during vacation weeks, morning and
afternoon sessions. These camps were for youngster. We used Commodore
64's with external tape drives. We used the program "Logo" to teach
basic programming. We couldn't get the AM group of students out before
the PM group of students started arriving, the student just didn't want
to finish. We then had the parents coming by to pick their kids up
asking "What is the best computers" to buy for their Kids, because they
saw how involved with the computer their children were. At the time
Texas Instrument - TI 99 were being discontinuing and selling for I
think about $50 at the time. You needed to buy all the software you
wanted to use at the same time as it wasn't going be available for much
longer. Of course because they were discontinuing the line there was no
tech support. Regardless of the equipment I asked the parents what did
they wanted to "Do" with the computer. They didn't know, and the kids
were too new to the technology to know what they wanted to do or the
capability. I still get asked what is the "best" computer to buy and I
still have the same question I did back them, find out what software you
want to run and buy a computer that will do it for you. I went back to
recommending the Commodore 64's because it was going to be around for a
longer time. Who knew at the time how short a time it would be with
technology that move forward so quickly.

The 2nd AHH moment was when I worked at a rehabilitation center in the
late 80's early 90's. They received a few Apple GS machines, we then
went out and bought, [2nd hand] a few more to have like equipment in
the center. The students were adult's with varying disabilities. The
staff working with the students asked why we were bringing in computers,
if I can't use them how in the world could these students with the
disabilities be able to use them. We had a gentleman that didn't
communicate, lived within himself, didn't interact with any of the other
clients. We sat him in front of one of the Apple GS's with some
software we thought he'd like. He was totally engaged, trying to figure
out what this was all about. After some time we thought he'd had enough
time and we were going to move on the some other clients turn with the
computer we couldn't tear him away from the PC. We found the only way
we could get him to move on was to turn off the computer and only then
did we find he was willingly to go on his merry way. He wasn't the only
client that took to the computer tool. But the AHH moment wasn't the
student it was the staff watching and becoming convinced that this tool
just might be useable for some students. And they found they would give
it a try to learn to use it themselves.

AHHH going down memory lane & realizing how far computers and the users
have really come.

Eunice Snay
Central SABES Regional Technologist
508-854-4514