National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1335] Re: Creating a Professional Development Plan Online

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Fri Oct 5 12:43:11 EDT 2007

Thanks for your feedback, Wendy. I understand about the busy-ness of the
beginning of the year, but the reality is it seems we are never NOT busy.
I've finally accepted that the quiet summer when you get to catch up on
everything is a myth!

In California our K12 system has a required teacher technology
self-assessment that takes maybe 45 minutes to complete. This was received
as quite burdensome for teachers, and we tried to learn from that to keep
the assessment shorter. The PD plan does add extra time, but, as Tim
pointed out, you can quit and come back.

In adult ed we have a staff skills assessment that I mentioned before.
Many programs have teachers do it online together in a lab at the
beginning of the year. That way they are there to support each other, and
also to discuss questions and issues that come up. That seems like a good
way to go, when possible. Also, the first year is the hardest. Once people
get used to using the tool, it doesn't seem so time-consuming, especially
if you have received some benefit from using it previously.

Anyway, I hope MA will find it useful at some point, and please keep me
posted. I would like to be able to share examples among states and
programs.

Marian
The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on