National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1210] Re: Prosessional Development Design & Development for the 21st Century

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 14:30:59 EDT 2007

Hello Mark, and others,

Thanks for your thoughts on the use of Second Life (SL) for adult
literacy education. I hope you will share some of your group's
research on "under what conditions and for what purposes 3DVR might
be more appropriate or effective than other tools/environments for
learning" and what you see as some of the opportunities and
limitations of using Second Life. I would like to learn more about
what "we need to advocate *for* educators *to* vendors like Linden
Labs, so they build in more education-appropriate features." What
features on SL do you think are worthwhile? What other features
should we be advocating for?

In case you were addressing your concerns to me, I am not a techie
and I am not interested in hyping technology. I am not promoting
"sending practitioners off into the 'brave virtual new world'". I am
not advocating that adult literacy education practitioners use Second
Life with their students. I am not suggesting that Second Life, as
it is, can meet needs of adult education teachers for professional
development. (I don't know if it can.)

I am suggesting that online real time courses, while often useful for
adult ed professional development, are only one kind of online
resource, that there are blogs, wikis, podcasts, online simulations,
online classroom videos, online study circles and more that can be
used asynchronously. and that these resources could be gathered
together in SL (or in another Virtual Reality environment) that may
be very rewarding for adult ed teachers, especially those who can
only access professional development online, never face-to-face, but
also for others who can do face-to-face, online and blended
professional development. I am not suggesting that SL has all the
answers, or that it is the ideal environment in which to bring these
resources together, but that it has _potential_ worth exploring. I
posted all that to _this_ discussion list because I view this forum
as the place where adult education practitioners interested in
technology gather together as a community of practice not only to
look at evidence-based adult literacy education practices (sadly,
very little in adult ed fits this category), and those supported by
professional wisdom, but also this is where we can branch off and
explore the potential of new -- unproven -- technologies and ideas.
If this is not the right forum for promoting adult education and
technology exploration groups, what is?

Given that there are experiments taking place all over SL by higher
education, but -- as far as I know -- none yet by practitioners in
adult literacy/basic education, I hoped that some folks from this
forum might want to form a group to explore -- learn more about --
SL and its potential (including, of course, its limitations) for
adult education professional development. As I guessed, there are. We
have formed a wiki, Yahoo Group and an "in world" SL group. It's too
early to know where this is going. It depends on who shows up at
this action-oriented study circle and what together we decide we want
to learn and do, but there are a dozen or so people interested, and
some have already "signed up". Others are welcome to join.

The Second Life Adult Professional Development Explorers (SLAPDE)
wiki is at:

http://slapde.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

To join the SLAPDE Yahoo Group:

1. Go to the group home page at:

2. Click on the "Join This Group" button on the right, under the
word "Home" (in green).

3. Login in with your Yahoo ID and password (Note: If you do not have
a free Yahoo account, you will have to sign up for one to generate
the username and password.)

4. Follow the three easy steps to join the group.

5. Await an approval email from the moderator, Jennifer Rafferty.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net