National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1060] Re: findings on evidence of improvement of literacy and languag

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Thu Jun 14 16:19:21 EDT 2007

Hi Heidi,

I'm heartened to hear that there is some research validating the use of
computer-based or online supplemental materials have a positive effect on
learning gains. The headline article in eSchool News today is about ed
tech leading to learning gains in 9 states, http://tinyurl.com/36kpcg

However, a few weeks ago that federal study was released by the US Dept of
Ed showing that instructional software didn't improve learning (for K12,
of course), http://tinyurl.com/327rxb. That study leaves a lot of
questions unanswered, but it does make me wonder whether the goal should
be to show increased learning gains. I know that's considered the gold
ring, but maybe, as Tina said, providing technology skills and access as
additional learning tools is the goal, as part of literacy in its current
form.

Marian
Marian Thacher, OTAN
P.O. Box 269003