National Institute for Literacy

[Technology 1343] Re: Online Portfolios

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Mon Oct 8 11:48:58 EDT 2007

Thanks for sharing this tool, Holly. I haven't seen Taskstream before, and
it looks pretty interesting. The idea of having an online portfolio that
is always available is very appealing, especially for those of us who are
freeway flyers and change jobs from time to time. $49/yr isn't an
outrageous cost, but of course it would be nice to find something free.
The OSP site looks very interesting too. From reviewing their white paper,
clearly a lot of thought has gone into what functionality you would want
to have for an online portfolio, how people might be grouped, etc.

So it comes down to commercial vs. open source. You would want to choose
the one that will be around and stable the longest. Is it a guessing game?
Does anyone have a strong opinion? On OSP you can sign up for 6 years, but
that doesn't mean it will still be there in 6 years.

Is anyone else using one of these, or another?

Marian

The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on